From the blog post “40 by 40“…my take on the ever popular “Bucket List”
- Run the Tenzing Hillary Everest Marathon (bet you didn’t see that one coming!)1a) …get a passport. This could come in handy…
- Meet, and more importantly, take a fitness class led by Richard Simmons.
- Rock climb outdoors.
- Run the Big Sur Marathon. Sure, Boston, NYC, etc are on my wish list, but in my eyes, Big Sur trumps all others.
Climb a really big mountain. Maybe some of those 14’ers my West Coast friends always brag about.Kind of done! Climbed (ran?) to the top of Hope Pass, 12,508′ above sea level.
- Publish a book.
Pet a manatee. That’s right, a sea cow.Done! 2/6/18
View this post on Instagram
Swam around for 30 minutes, saw nothing. I was disappointed, and headed back to the boat. Only to find this guy trying to eat the boat ladder! Spent about 10 minutes solo with him (her?) until the others came back and it swam off. Incredible!! My heart is so happy! #CrystalRiver #Manatee #Adventure
8. Log roll (like in the lumberjack competitions)
9. Surf in Hawaii (and see Pipeline with my own eyes, though I will paddle out somewhere much calmer)
10. Go to the Olympics (as a spectator…possibly even press. Certainly not as an athlete.)
11. Ten unassisted pull ups in a row. Real pull ups…no kipping. Such a small feat…such tiny arms.
12. Run a 50 mile ultra. Done! 5/30/15 Infinitus 2015
13. “Hunt” for Bigfoot (with a camera, not a gun). I’m kind of joking…and also kind of not.
14. Watch sea turtles hatch and run to the ocean.
15. Run a 100 mile ultra (my feet already hurt…) Done! 5/2017 Knock on Wood 100 Miler 16.
Stand up paddle-board. Bonus points for doing so in a bio-luminescent bay (thanks for the idea Jenny!) Done! 4/2016
View this post on Instagram
17. Drive cross country, stop for ridiculous photo ops such as the world’s largest ball of twine, and the Cabazon dinosaurs
18. Attempt the Barkley Marathons.
19. Ride a burro in/on/around the Grand Canyon
20. Get my Dad to run (or shuffle, or walk) in some sort of race with me. Might as well bring the whole family in. (And no Dad, I don’t mean in a car.)
21. Complete a full iron distance triathlon (140.6)
White water raft.Done, April 2019. Did not enjoy, haha.
Done, Summer 2020 (and a few times since)
24.Enter and compete in some sort of fitness competition (bikini? body building?)
25. Read “Born to Run” (still haven’t)
Zip line between the trees. Tropical or coniferous, doesn’t really matter to me.
Done, September 2017
27. Run the Dipsea Race.
28. Participate in a multiple day adventure race.
29.Go to Burning Man… (and run the Ultra while I’m there)
30. Make homemade donuts. I love donuts. However, I can’t really cook…
31. See an orca whale in the wild (Pacific Northwest?)
32. Overnight backpacking trip. Maybe two overnights.
33. Volunteer at an animal shelter, take dogs for walks.
34. Visit one of those caves full of stalagmites and stalactites
35. Run a sub 4 hour marathon (since my half pr is a 1:40, I should be able to do this!!)
36. Master the clean & jerk (it alludes me)
37. Go to Alaska, visit a town where it is still bright out at 11 pm.
38. Scuba dive.
39. Stomp on grapes at a vineyard, I Love Lucy style.
40. Switch this blog over to wordpress (it’s been 5 years and I still haven’t had the guts to do it. I consider it a massive adventure.) DONE!
TransRockies RunDone, Summer 2016
42. Horseback ride (horses kind of scare me. I know, that’s crazy. Especially consider the aforementioned Burros do not. )
43. Thru-hike a section of the Appalachian Trail.
44. Ditto the PCT ^.
45. Read 100 books in 1 year.
46. Have an article published in a popular magazine.
47. See a giant cactus in person. You know, the ones that are like 6+ feet tall.
48. See a wild mountain goat…in the wild.
49. Ride on and help sail one of those HUGE sailboats. I have a captivation and fear of the open ocean. So amazing…so powerful.
50. Travel out of the country. Crazy how I’ve never done that…